International Applicants FAQs

Request Info
Request Info
Open All Tabs
  • Who is considered a foreign or international student?

    For purposes of applying for admission to the University of Miami or for financial aid, anyone who is not a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States is considered a foreign or international student.

    If you are graduating from a high school outside of the United States and you are a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you may be considered an international applicant based on the foreign curriculum. This will not mean that you are an international student once enrolled, but it allows for someone familiar with your international credentials to evaluate your application.

  • What are the international first-year admission requirements?

    • Common Application
    • Official high school transcripts (must come directly from the school(s) attended)
    • School Report from your college counselor
    • Two letters of recommendation (one counselor/one teacher)
    • Official TOEFL and/or IELTS test results
    • International Financial Certification Form
    • Additional requirements for special programs, if applicable

  • What documentation is required for students applying from my country?

    Visit our Eligibility Requirements by Country page for more information. These requirements are intended only as a guide and are subject to further qualitative evaluation.

  • Can I come to UM to improve my English?

    Yes, for information on studying English language at UM’s Intensive English Program (IEP), visit the IEP page or email them at

  • What are UM’s English language proficiency requirements?

    International students whose native language is not English, including those applying for transfer from U.S. institutions, are required to submit the results of the TOEFL/IELTS.

    Please note that the TOEFL and/or IELTS scores are not used as a method of admission, but rather to determine a student’s English language proficiency. Visit our English Proficiency Requirements page for more information.  

  • Do you offer conditional admission?

    Yes, students who do not have a competitive score may be offered admission to undergraduate programs with the condition that they successfully complete Level 5 of IEP or pass the TOEFL test (ITP) offered at UM. Once your English condition has been met, you will be able to enroll in full-time academic study to pursue your major.

    Visit the IEP page for more information.

  • Can I waive the English language proficiency requirement?

    If English is not your native language, the TOEFL and/or IELTS requirement may be waived if you meet one of the following conditions:

    • Currently attending and graduating from a high school in the United States
    • Successful completion of Level 5 of our Intensive English Program
    • IB English A1 SL or HL examination with a predicted score of 4 or higher
    • IB English B HL examination with a predicted score of 5 or higher
    • Grade of C or better on the IGCSE/GCE “O” or “A” Level in English language
    • Completion of high school, including the final three years, in a country where English is the native language, e.g., Canada (except Quebec), United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, The Caribbean Commonwealth, Belize, and Guyana
    • Earned 30 credits (including 6 credits in English Composition with a grade of B or higher) at a regionally accredited university or college in the United States 

  • Does UM need the CAPE (Caribbean Advanced Placement Examination) for admission?

    We require at least CAPE I results for admission consideration. All official CAPE results for admission and transfer credit consideration must be sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.

  • Is the ACT and/or SAT exam required for international first-year applicants?

    ACT and/or SAT scores are optional for:

    • students graduating from a secondary school outside the United States.
    • students applying for admission to the School of Architecture or the Frost School of Music. Architecture applicants not submitting test scores must instead submit a portfolio. All Music applicants complete an audition as part of the evaluation process.

  • I recently moved to the United States; could you waive the ACT/SAT?

    Regardless of the time spent in a U.S. curriculum, all students graduating from a high school in the United States are required to submit SAT and/or ACT scores.  

  • When is the deadline for TOEFL/IELTS submissions?

    • Fall first-year applicants must submit official test scores before January 1.
    • Fall transfer applicants must submit official test scores before April 1.
    • Spring applicants must submit official test scores before November 1

    Official test results received after the aforementioned dates will not be accepted. Visit our English Proficiency Requirements page for more information

  • For how long is a TOEFL/IELTS score valid?

    TOEFL and/or IELTS scores are valid for two years.

  • My school does not have a counselor. Who should complete the Common Application Secondary School Report?

    If your school does not have a counselor, a school administrator can complete the School Report.

  • Should I send photocopies of certificates and awards?

    Please do not send us copies of certificates, awards, or news clippings. Simply list your activities and awards on the Common Application 

  • Do international students have to pay more tuition than domestic students?

    No, UM tuition and fees are the same for both domestic and international students. Visit our Cost of Attendance page for more information.

  • Do you offer scholarships to international students?

    Regardless of their citizenship, all students are considered for merit scholarships, which can provide awards up to the full cost of attendance. The remaining costs not covered by the scholarship must be covered by personal funds or private sponsorship. Visit our Scholarships page for more information. 

  • Do you offer financial aid to international students?

    The University of Miami is need-aware for first-year international undergraduate applicants. This means that, for a portion of international applicants, the Admission Committee will consider that student’s ability to pay tuition without the need for financial aid. UM is committed to meeting the full demonstrated financial need of all admitted international students.

    All prospective first-year international students who apply for admission to UM must submit an International Financial Certification Form, which can be accessed via CaneLink after you have submitted your application. 

    If you are applying for financial aid, you must submit the CSS Profile and Government or Employer Earnings Statements by the stated deadlines. For more information, please review the checklist on our Applying for Aid page.

  • Do you award college credits for A-Level, Cambridge Pre-U, and CAPE exam results?

    Yes, UM will only award credit once the official A-Level, AS-Level, CAPE, and Cambridge Pre-U exam certificates have been issued. Preliminary results, Statement of Results, and unofficial photocopies cannot be used to grant credit. Once you have received your official A-Level, AS-Level, CAPE, or Cambridge Pre-U exam certificate, submit the original exam certificate to the Office of Undergraduate Admission. 

    Visit our A-Level, Cambridge, Pre-U, and CAPE Unit Credit page for more information about transfer credits.

  • Is on-campus housing available for students who are offered conditional admission?

    Please note that University housing is not available for conditionally admitted students. Once you receive your conditional admission, you may email IEP at for assistance with off-campus housing options. 

  • When will you issue my I-20 form?

    The I-20 Form will be issued to admitted international students within a minimum of 10 business days from the date that the following items are completed, submitted, and verified by the Office of Undergraduate Admission.

    • Nonrefundable enrollment deposit
    • SEVIS Transfer Form, if applicable
    • Bank or government sponsorship letter (Sample Letter)
    • Photocopy of the biographical page of your current valid passport

  • Can international students work on campus?

    Yes, F-1 students are generally permitted to work part-time on the premises of the school that issued their currently valid I-20 form while they are attending that school and maintaining their F-1 status. F-1 students are permitted to work part-time a maximum of 20 hours biweekly. Contact ISSS at for more information.