Veterans FAQs

Request Info
Request Info

How do I apply for VA benefits?

You may qualify for more than one type of Veteran Affairs (VA) education benefit. Since applying for a certain education benefit could affect your eligibility for others, you should consider your options before selecting a benefit program. The VA administration provides resources to help you choose the best benefits for you and your family. You may contact the VA Educational Student Hotline at 1-888-442-4551. 

I'm a military/veteran dependent. What steps should I follow?

You should first have your parent/guardian contact the VA Educational Student Hotline at 1-888-442-4551 to determine which benefits you may qualify for before contacting your UM VA School Certifying Official. 

How do I use my military/veteran educational benefits at UM?

If you are a new student, the first step for using your veteran educational benefits at UM is to provide us with either your Student Enrollment Certification Request for on-campus programs or the Student Enrollment Certification Request for online programs. In addition, you must submit the VA Certification Enrollment Information form. Visit our VA website for instructions on how to submit your documents.

Does UM accept GI Bill benefits? If so, which ones?

Yes, UM’s VA Office assists military/veterans and their dependents who are entitled to VA educational benefits under Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606, or 1607. UM also participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program for qualified Chapter 33 recipients.

Does UM accept the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

Yes, UM welcomes applications from military/veterans and their dependents who are eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs, including the Post-9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program.

What costs are covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill?

The Post-9/11 GI Bill covers tuition and mandatory fees based on the percentage of eligibility.

When and where should I submit my VA educational benefits documents?

You may submit your documents electronically to or by mailing them to the address below:

University of Miami
Office of the University Registrar
P.O. Box 248026
Coral Gables, FL 33124-6914

For additional questions, contact your VA School Certifying Official within the Office of the University Registrar.

If I am eligible for VA educational benefits, should I also apply for financial aid?

Students who are eligible for Post-9/11 and Yellow Ribbon Program benefits can still apply for financial aid with UM. In accordance with University policy, military/veterans’ benefits are considered a resource when calculating eligibility for the institution’s need-based aid programs. Visit our Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment page or contact them via email at for more information.

Do I apply as a first-year or a transfer student?

Military/veterans apply as transfer students. Visit our Admission Process for Veterans page to learn more information.

However, if you are a military/veteran dependent who is graduating from high school, you must apply as a first-year student.

Do I have to take the ACT and/or SAT since I’m in the military?

You will need to submit your ACT and/or SAT scores if you’ve graduated from high school in the past three years. Please note that the scores will be considered as part of a holistic review of your application.

Does UM accept military education credits?

UM will award up to six elective credits with the submission of the DD 214 form, which shows you were honorably discharged.

Is my admission application fee waived?

Yes, the Common Application fee is waived for active military/veterans and their dependents. Be sure to choose the "Military/Veteran" Fee Waiver option when submitting your Common Application.

How is my military training and experience considered during the admission process?

It is important to note the evaluation of applications by the admission committee is comprehensive and holistic, which means that we select students on the basis of many attributes. These attributes include military training and experience, appropriate academic record (either in high school or college), a personal essay (where applicants are able to convey their academic and life goals), and letters of recommendation. 

If admitted, is my enrollment deposit fee waived?

Yes, the $500 nonrefundable enrollment deposit fee will be waived for active military members and veterans upon emailing the Office of Undergraduate Admission to inform us of your intent to enroll at

What is the UM veteran community like?

UM’s Veteran Student Services center guides our veteran community through an array of information and resources that are vital to the transition to campus life. These areas include benefits, career planning, counseling, tutoring, and simply getting to know the campus. 

We also have a Veteran Students Organization that brings military veterans together in order to foster fellowship and mentoring among those attending UM.

Is there housing for veterans?

Typically, our veteran students choose to live off campus in neighboring communities. You can view more information at Living Off Campus. However, if you are looking to live on campus, visit our Living On Campus page for more information.

Does UM have policies for active military personnel who are called to duty?

Yes, we have an admission withdrawal policy for those in the military. Visit our Important Information page for more details about the withdrawal process.