Academics FAQs

Request Info
Request Info

What is the general education curriculum at UM?

The University of Miami’s framework for general education is nontraditional, as our Cognates Program aims to provide a broad array of intellectual and cultural exploration. The Areas of Knowledge requirement is designed to help students understand and appreciate intellectual achievements in major areas of human inquiry and creative endeavor. Visit our Cognate Search Engine to learn more information.

What majors/minors are available at UM?

UM offers students a unique array of learning options within our nine undergraduate schools and colleges. For a current list of undergraduate majors, visit our Majors by School or College page. Visit our Academic Bulletin for a comprehensive list of our undergraduate academic programs including minors.

Does UM have an honors program and, if so, how are students selected? 

The Foote Fellows Honors Program includes students from each of the nine schools and colleges at UM. The top 10 percent of admitted students are typically invited to join the program. There is no separate application for the honors program; all applicants are automatically considered. If you are admitted to UM, you will learn if you have been invited to the honors program soon thereafter.

What other programs of distinction are available for students?

The University offers several programs designed to challenge and reward high-achieving students in a variety of fields. Visit our Programs of Distinction page for more information.

Where can I get information on pre-professional programs?

UM offers pre-professional advising for students interested in pre-health and pre-law. Visit our Pre-Law Advising and Pre-Health Advising and Mentoring pages for more information.

Are students allowed to double major within the different schools/colleges?

Yes, UM encourages students to pursue double majors or a combination of majors and minors across all of our nine undergraduate schools and colleges, especially in unrelated academic fields. Some major combinations might be more feasible than others, but a student’s academic advisor will be sure to lead him or her down an appropriate academic path. 

When can students add a major/minor?

Students may declare a second major or a minor once they are admitted to UM and enrolled in classes during their first semester.

By when do students have to declare a major?

Students are advised to declare a major during their sophomore year.

Can students change their major?

It is common for students to consider changing their academic direction at some point during their college career. If this happens to you, it is important to speak with your academic advisor to ensure you are on track for graduation. 

What is UM’s average class size?

The average class size at UM is between 16 and 26 students.

How accessible are the faculty?

UMs 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio gives students access to faculty across all academic disciplines. In addition, faculty have weekly office hours, and students are welcome to visit their professors during those times. 

How does academic course advising work at UM?

All UM students have an academic advisor and, typically, students meet with their advisor at least once a semester. Depending on the number of majors/minors students are pursuing across the different schools/colleges, they will have an academic advisor who specializes in each area of concentration.

Does UM provide opportunities for undergraduates to conduct research?

As a private research institution, UM welcomes and encourages students who would be interested in pursuing faculty-led or their own original research as early as in a student’s second semester of their freshman year. Students conduct research across all academic disciplines regardless of their major or field of study. Visit our Undergraduate Research and Community Outreach page for more information 

What types of study-abroad programs does UM offer?

The Office of Study Abroad offers programs as short as one week and as long as an academic year that accommodate students in all disciplines. Currently UM offers more than 80 programs in more than 40 countries. You may study abroad on a faculty-led program, on a UM flagship program, or on a UM Partner Program. 

What resources and facilities are available for academic assistance?

UM offers a number of resources, including:

  • Residential College Advising: Academic advisors in our residential colleges provide additional support as students aim for academic excellence, become engaged on campus, and grow professionally.
  • Camner Center for Academic Resources: The Camner Center for Academic Resources offers a multitude of resources for every constituent of the UM community: students, parents, faculty, staff, and administrators. The goal at Camner is to provide resources to help manage success and advance potential.
  • Office of Disability Services within the Camner Center: The Office of Disability Services (ODS) provides academic accommodations and support to ensure that students with disabilities are able to access and participate in the opportunities available at UM. Individuals with disabilities must request academic accommodations through the ODS.
  • University of Miami Libraries: The University of Miami Libraries provide faculty, students, researchers, and staff with the highest quality access to collections, information services, learning support, and digital expertise.
  • Math Lab at the Learning Commons: The Math Lab provides tutoring to any student enrolled in an undergraduate math course at UM. Tutoring is available on a walk-in basis.
  • Writing Center: The Writing Center offers one-on-one assistance to students to strengthen their skills at every stage in the writing process by helping them write and edit their own work.
  • Toppel Career Center: Toppel's mission is to prepare students to make educated decisions as they explore the ever-changing landscape of careers.

What experimental learning opportunities can students find at UM?

At UM, your education extends beyond the classroom walls to labs, studios, hospitals, museums, internships—and even countries halfway around the world. With access to a major metropolitan city, the real-world learning opportunities abound. Here are only a handful of the initiatives and opportunities our students take advantage of:

Does UM offer summer programs for high school students?

Yes, UM’s Summer Scholars Program provides a unique opportunity for high school students to study at UM and earn six credit hours.