Transfer Applicants FAQs

Request Info
Request Info

What are the most important factors in the transfer admission process?

The admission committee conducts a holistic review and will consider all items of a student’s application including standardized testing (if necessary), grades (both high school, if necessary, and college), essay, work experience, etc. However, the bulk of our focus will be on your collegiate-level work. Visit our Application Process page for more information.

Does the post-secondary institution I previously attended affect my chances for admission?

We find that the most successful transfer applicants attended institutions where they took a full slate of challenging general curriculum coursework. We accept transfer students of varied educational experiences including 2-year, 4-year, public, and private institutions.

Does UM allow students who only have a GED to transfer?

Yes; however, such students will still need to meet all other transfer requirements and must provide official transcripts of all high school coursework they attempted, in addition to providing an official copy of their GED scores and diploma.

Are interviews required for prospective transfer students?

UM neither requires nor grants interviews.

What campus visit programs are available to transfer applicants? 

We offer daily presentations and tours, and we offer transfer information sessions once a month from October through June. Register for your visit today. 

Am I required to submit ACT/SAT scores?

If you have less than 30 transferable post-secondary college credits completed, you will have to submit ACT and/or SAT scores. Please note that if you are currently enrolled in courses, these do not count toward the 30-credit requirement. 

Am I required to submit my high school transcripts?

If you have less than 30 transferable post-secondary college credits completed, you must submit your high school transcripts.

What is the required GPA for transfer admission?

We give every applicant a full review and consider individual circumstances. While there is no required GPA for admission, we look most favorably upon applicants whose college transcript is a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA calculated by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. 

What should I write my essay about?

The Common Application asks you to write about your reasons for transferring and the objectives you hope to achieve if admitted to UM.

How do I submit my College Report?

Transfer applicants are required to provide a College Report through the Common Application for each institution they were enrolled in full time or attended after high school. The Dean of Students Office, the Registrar’s Office, or a college official (such as an academic advisor) who has access to your academic and disciplinary records must complete this report.

If I performed poorly at my previous institution, will those credits transfer?

The University does not accept transfer credit hours for courses in which a grade of C- and below (or the equivalent grade) was earned. However, grades of C-, D, and F are used to calculate the transfer admission grade point average. 

The University does not have a coursework forgiveness policy. The grades of any repeated courses will be averaged. A student may not repeat a course in which a grade of C or higher has been earned. This is considered an illegal repeat.

May I submit AP, IB, AICE, or CLEP examination scores?

Yes, after being offered admission and enrolling, a student must submit any final college transcripts with grades, AP, IB, AICE, or CLEP examination scores for review by the end of the first semester of enrollment. Any documents listed above which are submitted after this time period will not be reviewed, and credit hours will not be awarded. 

How will I know if I will receive credit for my previous coursework?

Transfer credit evaluations are completed after students are admitted. Transferable courses will post in a student’s CaneLink soon thereafter. Keep in mind, you must receive a C or better in the course in order to receive credit. Visit our Suggested Coursework to Prepare for Transfer page for more information.

When is the application deadline?                  

The priority deadline for the spring is November 1 and the priority deadline for the fall is March 1. Applications will continue to be accepted until the transfer class is full. We will give priority to those applicants who submit a completed application and all supporting documents by the priority deadlines. 

How do I apply for merit scholarships?

There is no separate application required; applicants are automatically considered for an academic scholarship when they apply for admission to UM. 

Could I receive need-based financial aid as a transfer student?

In order to be considered for all types of need-based financial assistance, transfer students must complete the CSS Profile, the FAFSA, and other required documentation by the respective deadlines. Visit our Applying for Aid: Transfer Students page for information about the financial aid application filing deadlines.

When will I find out my admission decision? 

Students whose application is complete by the priority deadline can expect a decision starting mid-April for fall admission and starting mid-November for spring admission. Transfer students who complete their application after the priority dates are notified of their decision on a rolling basis, three to four weeks after their application is deemed complete.

When will I receive my financial aid and scholarship information?

Financial aid and scholarship information will post within one week of your admission decision release, as long as you have submitted all required financial aid documentation.

How does UM notify applicants when a decision has been reached?

Admission decisions are made available via CaneLink, UM’s online student portal. Students should monitor their CaneLink account and email regularly.

Could you email me my admission decision?

Our policy dictates that we cannot reveal an applicant’s admission decision via email or telephone. Admission decisions are made available via CaneLink. If you are having trouble with CaneLink, visit the CaneID Self-Service page or contact IT at 305-284-6565 or via email at

I am unable to open my admission decision. What should I do?

We apologize that you are experiencing difficulty accessing your decision on the CaneLink Student Center. The admission decision is posted in your “Communication Center,” not the “Message Center.” Be sure to clear your cache/cookies and try again. 

Cookies and pop-ups must be enabled in order for you to access the system. Visit our CaneLink FAQ page for instructions on how to manage your settings. If that doesn't work, call the help desk at 305-284-6565, option 1 for assistance. 

Could I defer my admission if I am a transfer student?

Transfer students are not able to defer their admission. 

Can I reapply to the University of Miami if I've been denied before?

Yes, however, you must wait one full year and complete 10 courses or 30 credits at an accredited college or university. 

How many credits do I need to earn at UM to earn my degree?

A student transferring credit hours from a 2-year community or junior college (this being the last school attended) must complete a minimum of 56 credit hours in residence at UM to earn an undergraduate degree. 

A student transferring credit hours from a 4-year college or university (this being the last school attended) must complete a minimum of 45 credit hours in residence at UM to earn an undergraduate degree. At least half of the credit hours required for the chosen major or minor must be completed at UM. 

Is housing guaranteed for admitted transfer students?

On-campus housing is not guaranteed for incoming transfer students. If you decide you want to live on campus, you should submit your housing deposit soon after accepting your admission and submitting your nonrefundable enrollment deposit. Visit our Off-Campus Housing page for more information. 

How do I find out who my admission counselor is?

Transfer students are assigned by their last name. Visit our Meet Our Staff page to find your admission counselor. Please note that admission counselors cannot conduct individual counseling sessions or review transcripts, but they are able to answer specific questions you may have regarding the transfer admission process.