Financial Aid FAQs

Request Info
Request Info

If you are unable to find the answer to your financial aid question above, please contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment directly at or 305-284-6000 Option 2.

For information related to application requirements, deadlines, or expected costs, please visit our website.

How does financial aid work?

Check out our How Financial Aid Works Booklet, which will provide you with valuable information about financial aid and student employment. Some of the highlights in this booklet include:

  • Financial planning
  • Information on maintaining your financial aid eligibility
  • What happens when your circumstances change
  • A glossary of financial aid acronyms and terms

You can also visit our Financial Aid TV for more information about financial aid, including short videos.

Will applying for financial aid hurt my chances of admission?

No. An applicant’s ability to pay for a UM education is not considered during the admission process. An application for financial aid has no effect on the Admission Committee’s decision, since UM is need-blind when reviewing admission applications. This policy applies to all candidates, regardless of their citizenship.

If I miss the deadline, can I still apply for financial aid?

Yes. Even if you missed a deadline, you can still apply; however, you must be aware that you will be at a distinct disadvantage. Be sure to complete both the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE and the FAFSA as soon as possible.

I would like to apply to UM but anticipate I will need financial assistance. Am I able to estimate my financial aid before I apply? 

For an early estimate of your financial aid award, we encourage you to use UM's Net Price Calculator.

What is the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition? 

Since UM is a private institution, tuition rates are the same for in-state and out-of-state students. The Financial Assistance and Student Employment website lists our current Tuition and Fees.

What is the difference between the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE and the FAFSA?

  • CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE is a financial aid application administered by the College Scholarship Service (CSS). UM requires the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE to determine eligibility for institutional need-based financial aid.
  • FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid that is used to apply for federal student aid, such as federal grants, loans, and work-study programs. UM requires the FAFSA to determine eligibility for federal need-based financial aid.

Why do you require noncustodial parent information via the Noncustodial PROFILE to determine my eligibility for need-based institutional aid?

UM's financial aid policy begins with the premise that parents, even if they are divorced or separated, have the primary responsibility to contribute toward their children’s college education costs to the extent that they are able before institutional need-based funds will be provided. In order to calculate an expected family contribution and determine a student’s financial aid eligibility, we require financial information from both natural parents and their current spouses.

Do I need to reapply for financial assistance each year? Will my financial aid change in future years? 

Yes, you must submit the new CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE and the FAFSA application along with all the appropriate tax documents each year, no later than April 15, to be reconsidered for need-based financial assistance. We reevaluate your financial need each year by carefully reviewing the updated application and all of the supporting tax documents and recalculating the family contribution. Any changes in your family’s financial situation may alter your financial aid award.

How do I notify UM about my outside scholarships?

If you are a recipient of an outside scholarship, send a copy of your scholarship award letter(s) to the Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment at so it can be added to your financial aid award. For more information, visit our Additional Scholarship Resources page.

Will outside grants and scholarships affect my financial aid package?

Your financial aid package may be affected if:

  • The addition of your outside scholarship causes your award to exceed your demonstrated financial need.
  • The addition of your outside scholarship causes your total award to exceed the standard cost of attendance.

*Please note: Always check with the Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment when adding any awards from outside agencies to find out the full impact of such awards on your University of Miami financial aid award. Never assume that your original financial aid award will remain the same if new awards are added. We reserve the right to modify any financial aid award at any time due to changes in eligibility based on federal regulations and University policy. For more information, see our Terms and Conditions.

I am an employee dependent. Do I need to complete the FAFSA and the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE?

If you wish to be considered for need-based assistance or federal loans, yes. All employee dependents are expected to complete either the FAFSA or the Certification of Florida Residency so we can determine your eligibility to receive the Florida Resident Access Grant

What financial aid is available to Florida residents?

There are both non-need-based and need-based financial aid programs available to Florida residents, including Florida Bright Futures Scholarships, the Florida Resident Access Grant (FRAG), and the Florida Student Access Grant (FSAG). For more information about financial aid available to Florida residents, visit our Florida Aid Programs page.

Do you accept the Florida Prepaid Plan?

Yes. The Office of Student Account Services at UM has staff members who can answer any inquiries by phone (305-284-6430 Option 5), email (, or in person. For more information, visit here.

What financial aid is available to international students and non-U.S. citizens?

Regardless of their citizenship, all students are considered for merit-based scholarships, which can provide awards up to the full cost of attendance. The remaining costs not covered by the scholarship must be covered by personal funds or private sponsorship. For more information about merit-based scholarships, please visit our Scholarships page.

UM has a limited amount of need-based financial assistance for international students. Interested applicants must submit the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE and the necessary documents by the stated deadline.

The U Dreamers Program is available to a select number of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) students at the University of Miami, effective Fall 2017. The program is open to DACA high school seniors and transfer students in the state of Florida. Candidates for the U Dreamers Program are selected based on academic merit and essay. Visit our U Dreamers page for additional information.

I no longer want to be considered for need-based financial aid but my to-do list says I am missing financial aid documents. How can I fix this?

When you submitted your Common Application, you indicated that you wanted to be considered for financial aid. Click here to update your financial aid interest.