Veterans FAQs

Request Info
Request Info

Does UM accept GI Bill benefits? If so, which ones?

Yes, UM’s Veterans’ Affairs (V.A.) Office assists veterans and dependents of veterans who are entitled to V.A. educational benefits under Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606, or 1607.

The University of Miami participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program for qualified Chapter 33 recipients.

Anyone needing information on veterans' benefits is advised to contact the VA School Certifying Official at the Registrar’s Office:

  • For last names beginning with A-L, include "Attn. Esther Molina" in the subject line and send email to Or call: Esther Molina, 305-284-6418.
  • For last names beginning with M-Z, include "Attn. Gregory Bellamy" in the subject line and send email to Or call: Gregory Bellamy, 305-284-9432.

For additional information, please visit our Veteran Information page.

Does UM accept the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill?

Yes, UM welcomes applications from veterans and dependents who are eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs, including the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Does UM have a resource center or program for veterans?

Yes, the Dean of Students Office is home to Veteran Student Services, which is the resource center that provides support to the veteran student population for their successful transition from military service to campus life and beyond. You can visit the Veteran Student Services page for more information.

Is there housing for veterans?

Typically our veteran students choose to live off campus in the campus’ neighboring communities. However, if you are looking to live on campus, you can view more information through our Living Off Campus page. 

What is the UM veteran community like?

UM offers a Veteran Student Services center that will guide you through an array of information and resources that are vital to your introduction to campus life. These areas include benefits, career planning, counseling, tutoring, and just getting to know the campus. 

We also have a Veteran Students Organization that brings military veterans together in order to foster fellowship and mentoring among those attending the University of Miami.

Does UM have policies for active military personnel who are called to duty?

Yes, we have a military withdrawal policy. For more information, please visit the Withdrawal web page.

Does UM accept military education credits?

The University will award up to six elective credits with the submission of the DD 214 form, which shows you were honorably discharged.

What costs are covered by the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill?

The Post-9/11 G.I. Bill covers tuition and mandatory fees based on the percent of eligibility.

How do I apply for VA benefits?

You may qualify for more than one type of VA education benefit. Because applying for a certain education benefit could affect your eligibility for others, you should consider your options before selecting a benefit program. The VA administration provides resources to help you choose the best benefits for you and your family. Please contact the VA Educational Student Hotline at 1-888-442-4551.

How do I use my veteran educational benefits at UM?

The first step for using your veteran educational benefits at UM is to provide us with your Student Enrollment Certification Request form and the VA Certification Enrollment Information form. See the VA website for instructions on how to apply for this certificate.

For assistance, contact your VA School Certifying Official in the Office of the University Registrar at or email them at

Where do I submit my VA educational benefits and/or Yellow Ribbon Program paperwork?

Submit your information to your VA School Certifying Official within the Office of the University Registrar. 

When should I submit my COE and Yellow Ribbon Application?

Please contact the Veterans’ Affairs Office at

If I am eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program, should I also apply for financial aid?

Students who are eligible for Post-9/11 and Yellow Ribbon Program benefits can still apply for financial aid with UM. In accordance with University policy, veterans’ benefits are considered a resource when calculating eligibility for the institution’s need-based aid programs. Please visit our Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment for more information. If you wish to email (at, please put "Veteran" in the subject line.

I'm a veteran dependent. What steps should I follow?

You should first have your parent/guardian contact the VA Educational Hotline at 1-888-442-4551 to determine what you may qualify for. Then contact your VA School Certifying Official at or email them at   

How is my military training and experience considered during the admission process?

It is important to note the evaluation of applications by the admission committee is comprehensive and holistic, which means that we select students on the basis of many attributes. These attributes include military training and experience, appropriate academic record (either in high school or college), a personal essay (where applicants are able to convey their academic and life goals), and letters of recommendation.

Do I have to take the SAT or ACT since I’m in the military?

If you’ve graduated from high school in the past five years, you will need to submit your SAT or ACT scores.  Please note that the scores will be considered as part of a holistic review of your application.

Do veterans qualify for the application fee waiver?

Yes. Please make sure to notify us of your military status under the demographic section of your Common Application. 

Am I still responsible for covering the application fee and deposit?

The $70 Common Application fee is waived for active military members and veterans. When you submit the Common App, choose the "Military/Veteran" Fee Waiver option. If admitted, the $500 enrollment deposit fee will be waived for active military members and veterans.