Post Application Submission FAQs

Request Info
Request Info

How can I switch my application option?

Please email stating your request to convert your application to the desired application option. If applicable, remember to attach your Early Decision Agreement form with the required signatures. Be sure to include the subject line “Application Option Update” and your full name and date of birth on all correspondence. 

The deadlines to change are the following:

  • Early Action or Regular Decision to Early Decision I is November 1
  • Early Action to Early Decision II is January 1
  • Regular Decision to Early Decision II is January 17                     

Does UM require a mid-year report from freshman applicants?

Yes, all applicants are required to have their high school guidance counselor submit the mid-year report and updated senior year transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admission as soon as it is available. Mid-year reports or transcripts submitted by the applicant are not considered official, thus not processed.

When will I hear if I have been admitted?

  • Early Decision I applicants will be notified in late December.
  • Early Action applicants will be notified in late January-early February.
  • Early Decision II applicants will be notified in mid-late February.
  • Regular Decision applicants will be notified in early April.

I submitted my application; how can I check if it was received?

Once a your application is downloaded and processed, you will receive an acknowledgment email within 3-4 business days containing your Cane ID and instructions on how to log into CaneLink. If you do not receive a confirmation email within two weeks after submitting your application, check your junk mail, spam, and clutter folders in case the email has been filtered. To check the status of your application, visit our Check Your Application page. 

What is CaneLink?

CaneLink is UM’s online student portal for tracking application materials and viewing your admission decision when it becomes available.

What should I do if I’m unable to log into my CaneLink?

Visit our CaneLink FAQ page or our CaneID Self-Service page for more information. If you are still unable to log in, contact our IT Support Center at or 305-284-6565, option 1.

How will I know what is missing from my application?

To check your application status, log into CaneLink and click on the “To-Do List” in the Student Center. When checking your To-Do List items on your CaneLink account, click on each item and see an explanation and instruction(s) on how to submit the missing material(s). When your application is complete, there will be no items on your “To-Do List.”

How do I update personal information or an error on an already-submitted application?

If you need to update your contact information including email address, current address, or permanent address, you may do so on your CaneLink account. Visit our Student FAQs page for instructions on how to update your account.

I need to update my Social Security number. What do I do?

If you submitted an application with an incorrect Social Security number listed, fax a clear copy of your Social Security card to 305-284-2507 or email it to along with a brief explanation requesting to have your application information updated. Upon receipt of the proper documentation, we will correct the number in our system. Be sure to include your full name and date of birth on all correspondence.

I submitted my application. Could I submit additional materials?

Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to accept any additions or revisions to your current application (extracurricular activities, resume, awards, essay, etc.). We are confident that your application will be a great representation of you as a student and look forward to reviewing it.            

What if I had to switch/change a course my senior year?

Please notify us of this change at with the subject line "Schedule Change" and request for new transcripts to be sent directly from your high school. Be sure to include your full name and date of birth on all correspondence.

How does UM notify applicants when a decision has been reached?

Admission decisions are available via CaneLink. Students should monitor their email closely for a notification that a decision has been posted.

Could you email me my admission decision?

Our policy dictates that we cannot reveal an applicant’s admission decision via email or telephone. 

I am unable to open my admission decision. What should I do?

We apologize that you are experiencing difficulty accessing your decision on your CaneLink Student Center. The admission decision is posted in your “Communication Center,” not the “Message Center.” Be sure to clear your cache/cookies and try again. 

Cookies and pop-ups must be enabled in order for you to access the system. Visit our CaneLink FAQ page for instructions on how to manage your settings. If that doesn't work, call the help desk at 305-284-6565, option 1 for assistance.  

How do I cancel or withdraw my application for admission?

If at any point in time you wish to withdraw your application, please complete the withdrawal form.