Athletics and Recreation FAQs

Whom should I contact if I am a prospective student interested in intercollegiate athletics at UM?

You or your coach should contact the appropriate coach at UM. The Hurricane Athletics department directory can be found at the official Hurricane Athletics website.

How do I try out for a team?

The walk-on tryout process varies from team to team. Contact the specific athletic team you are interested in. Visit the Hurricane Athletics website for more information.

Where are the athletic facilities?

UM’s athletic facilities are located both on and off the Coral Gables main campus. Please visit Facilities for more information.

Does UM have intramural and/or club sports?

UM offers both an intramural and a club sports program. For more information, please visit our Sports and Recreation page.

How do I get tickets to athletic events?

All undergraduate students receive free admission to UM athletic events by showing their Cane Card. 

What exercise and workout facilities are available?

UM provides students with a range of options to maintain or pursue a healthy lifestyle. The Herbert Wellness Center is a premier fitness, recreation, and wellness facility that includes a 17,000-sq.-ft. fitness room, basketball courts, indoor track, spa, saunas, racquetball and squash courts, instructional kitchen and classrooms, tennis courts, an indoor pool, and the Courtside Eatery.

Since it takes more than just physical exercise to maintain good health, the Herbert Wellness Center also offers classes in meditation, stress management, smoking cessation, cooking, emergency care, and nutrition education. 

Does UM have fitness and wellness classes?

The Herbert Wellness Center hosts a wider variety of fitness and wellness classes to satisfy the needs of both members and nonmembers. For a list of the classes and more information, please visit Classes.