Admitted ’Canes FAQs

admitted canes small admitted canes large

Congratulations, you’re a Cane! But now what? You have questions. We have answers. Here are the most common questions we get from first-year students who have been admitted.* If, after reading the Admitted 'Canes FAQs, you still have unanswered questions, please contact our Office of Undergraduate Admission at 

Be sure to check back often as we continually update this page with new information and questions. Also, to make the transition easier, please visit our Road to UM, which is a road map that will help guide you as you plan for your arrival in Miami. 

*The answers below assume you have been admitted to the fall term as a first-year freshman. If you have been admitted as a transfer student, please refer to your admission materials for next steps.

How do I submit my enrollment deposit?

To secure enrollment, you must submit a $500 (nonrefundable) enrollment deposit by the due date indicated on your admission letter. This payment can be made via your CaneLink account (by credit card or electronic check/e-check).

Join us for one of our on-campus admitted student programs or a regional reception in your area. An email invitation will be sent to you with more details about all of our Admitted Student Events. Be sure to register!

What is ’Cane for a Day?

’Cane for a Day is a one-day campus visit program for admitted students. The Office of Undergraduate Admission matches you with a current UM student for a unique one-on-one experience. You will attend classes with your host and meet professors and other students. Over the course of your day, you will have the opportunity to eat on campus and learn about extracurricular activities available to you. For more information, please visit the ’Cane for a Day website.

How do I submit my housing prepayment?

Once we have received and processed your enrollment deposit, we will activate access to the housing application link and you will be able to apply for on-campus housing by submitting an additional $500 Housing Pre-Payment via CaneLink under the "UM Housing" section.

Please note, that the option to apply for housing will become visible the next business day after your enrollment deposit has been processed. For more specific questions about applying for housing, please contact the Department of Housing and Residential Life at 305-284-4505 or via email at

When will I be notified if I received any merit scholarship or an invitation to the honors program?

Your application for admission is used to determine your eligibility for all merit-based scholarships and honors awarded. With the exception of our premier scholarships, the majority of awards will be included with your admission offer. The honors program invitations will be sent after admission notification but no later than April.

Does UM match merit scholarships offered by other colleges/universities?

No, UM does not match offers made by other colleges/universities—but we congratulate you on your academic achievements that have led to so many wonderful opportunities, including admission to UM.

Can I still apply for financial aid if I haven’t already?

Yes. Even if you missed a deadline, you can still apply, however, you must be aware that you will be at an extreme disadvantage. Be sure to complete both the CSS Financial Aid PROFILE and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible. 

Can I defer my enrollment and take a gap year?

If you are interested in deferring enrollment to take a gap year, you must submit a short explanation detailing your proposed plans for the gap year via email at by June 1. If you email us, please put "Deferral/Gap Year" in the subject line of your message.

Deferments are typically granted for one semester or one year. You will be notified of your deferment status as soon as possible. If college courses are taken during the gap year, you will have to reapply as a transfer student and receive a new admission decision, which will include consideration of the new academic information.

I am dropping a class in high school after being admitted. What do I do?

It is important to note that academic rigor and performance always come first. Before dropping a course, please seek advice from your high school or college counselor. You want to make sure that you fulfill your high school graduation requirements.

Is it possible to switch majors prior to enrollment?

The admissions office will facilitate switching majors up until May 30. Admitted students who wish to change majors must email requesting to have their major switched. After May 30, admitted students need to contact the school or college directly. 

If you email us, please put "Major Change" in the subject line of your message and be sure to include your full name, date of birth, and Cane ID on all correspondence.

Can I double major or add a minor?

If you'd like to double major or add a minor, you'll need to speak with your academic advisor during Orientation. He or she will be able to instruct you on how to proceed.

What do I need to know about Orientation?

’Cane Kickoff marks a new beginning and time of celebration for all undergraduate students. New Student Orientation is held the week before classes begin in August for those students beginning in the fall and in January for those students beginning in the spring. This required program provides students with the foundation for your life at UM. Optional programming is also provided for family members. Visit the Orientation webpage for additional information.

Where do I send my Advance Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) credits?

To have Advanced Placement, College-Level Examination Program, and International Baccalaureate (Level H) examination scores evaluated for University credit, request that your official test result report be sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admission from the College Board or your regional IB office.

Do I need to send my final high school transcripts?

Yes. Your admission decision is contingent on successful completion of your high school courses. You should have your final high school transcripts sent to us as soon as they become available. If you attended a college/university during high school, please be sure to also send us those transcripts as well.  

I'm an international student; do I need to submit my final high school transcripts to Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. for evaluation?

No, that is not necessary. Please have your high school guidance counselor submit your final transcripts via mail or email to

When will I receive the first tuition bill for the fall semester?

Your first tuition bill will be posted to your CaneLink account early in July. 

Does the University of Miami offer a payment plan for tuition and fee costs?

The Office of Student Account Services offers several alternative payment options. Some are administered by Student Account Services, and others are administered by financial institutions. For more information, please visit the Tuition Payment Plans webpage. 

As an international student, when will my I-20 be issued?

Before issuing your I-20, students must submit their enrollment deposit, a bank or government sponsorship letter (sample found here) and a photocopy of the biographical page of their passport. I-20s will begin to be processed in April once all requirements have been fulfilled.

These documents can be submitted via email to Please put "Passport/Bank Letter" in the subject line of your message and be sure to include your full name, date of birth, and Cane ID on all correspondence. 

Are new students guaranteed housing?

Housing is guaranteed to incoming first-year students provided they meet all deadlinesFirst-year students admitted for the fall semester should apply for housing prior to May 1 to receive a priority housing assignment. Housing applications received after that date are accepted on a space-available basis. Students admitted for spring semester can apply for housing using the spring-only housing application available in CaneLink beginning in late October. Spring housing applications are due December 1. Housing applications received after that date are accepted on a space-available basis.

Housing is available for transfer students, but depends upon capacity.

Applying early will determine in part a student's future priority to access single rooms, be considered for room changes, and having earlier room selection appointment times. For more information, please visit How to Apply for Housing.

When will I know my room assignment?

Your room assignment will be posted on your CaneLink when it is ready. The housing office will typically send these out in early July for fall applicants and late December for spring applicants.

When will I be able to have access to my University of Miami email address?

At some point in mid-May, UM will send an email to the personal email address we have on file for you giving you information about how to set up your UM student email account. Please claim and monitor your UM email account regularly—starting as soon as it is created, as that is how we will communicate with you throughout the summer. 

Where and when do I take the math placement test?

Incoming first-year students at the University of Miami will be required to complete the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment before enrolling in a mathematics course. For more information, please visit the Department of Mathematics webpage.

To whom should I speak about disabilities or accessibility resources?

The Office of Disability Services provides resources to students with disabilities. You can email them at or call 305-284-2374. 

Will I have an academic advisor?

Yes. All students are assigned an academic advisor. Your academic advisor can help you pick your courses and navigate academic life at UM. During Orientation, you will have an opportunity to meet with him/her.

When do I select courses?

Each of the University's schools and colleges has a specific program of course registration and academic advising. Your school or college will send information about registration and advising directly to your UM email. 

All students will also receive a guide named The Road to UM to assist you in taking the next steps at the University. You can also get an idea of what classes are offered at UM by exploring CaneLink as well as our UM Academic Programs. For step-by-step videos on how to register for classes in CaneLink, visit the New Student Registration webpage.

I have Florida Prepaid College. What are my next steps?

The Florida Prepaid Program must be notified that the student will be attending UM. Students must also complete the University of Miami's Florida Prepaid College Program Authorization Form. The toll-free number to call the Florida Prepaid Tuition Program is 1-800-552-4723.

For more information about Florida Prepaid College, please visit our Office of Student Account Services website. You can also email them at, but please be sure to put "Florida Prepaid" as the subject line. 

Do I have to submit immunization records?

Please see Student Health Service website for information for incoming undergraduates. This website has all the information you will need about health and immunization requirements. You can also email them at or call 305-284-9100.

How do I cancel my admission and housing?

You can cancel the offer of admission by completing the online form here. The $500 enrollment deposit is nonrefundable. If you’ve signed up for housing, you’ll also need to notify our Housing and Residential Life Office at