Admitted ’Canes FAQs

Request Info
Request Info

Congratulations, you’re a Cane! But now what? You have questions. We have answers. Here are the most common questions we get from first-year students who have been admitted.* If, after reading the Admitted 'Canes FAQs, you still have unanswered questions, please contact our Office of Undergraduate Admission at 

Be sure to check back often as we continually update this page with new information and questions. Also, to make the transition easier, please visit our Road to UM, which is a road map that will help guide you as you plan for your arrival in Miami. 

*The answers below assume you have been admitted to the fall term as a first-year freshman. If you have been admitted as a transfer student, please refer to your admission materials for next steps.

What is ’Cane for a Day?

’Cane for a Day is a one-day campus visit program for admitted students. The Office of Undergraduate Admission matches you with a current UM student for a unique one-on-one experience. You will attend classes with your host and meet professors and other students. Over the course of your day, you will have the opportunity to eat on campus and learn about extracurricular activities available to you. For more information, please visit the ’Cane for a Day website.

When will I be notified if I received any merit scholarship or an invitation to the honors program?

Your application for admission is used to determine your eligibility for all merit-based scholarships and honors awarded. With the exception of our premier scholarships, the majority of awards will be included with your admission offer. The honors program invitations will be sent after admission notification but no later than April.

Does UM match merit scholarships offered by other colleges/universities?

No, UM does not match offers made by other colleges/universities—but we congratulate you on your academic achievements that have led to so many wonderful opportunities, including admission to UM.

Can I still apply for financial aid if I haven’t already?

Yes. Even if you missed a deadline, you can still apply, however, you must be aware that you will be at an extreme disadvantage. Be sure to complete both the CSS Financial Aid PROFILE and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible. 

I am dropping a class in high school after being admitted. What do I do?

It is important to note that academic rigor and performance always come first. Before dropping a course, please seek advice from your high school or college counselor. You want to make sure that you fulfill your high school graduation requirements.

Is it possible to switch majors prior to enrollment?

The admissions office will facilitate switching majors up until May 30. Admitted students who wish to change majors must email requesting to have their major switched. After May 30, admitted students need to contact the school or college directly. 

If you email us, please put "Major Change" in the subject line of your message and be sure to include your full name, date of birth, and Cane ID on all correspondence.

Where do I send my Advance Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) credits?

To have Advanced Placement, College-Level Examination Program, and International Baccalaureate (Level H) examination scores evaluated for University credit, request that your official test result report be sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admission from the College Board or your regional IB office.

Do I need to send my final high school transcripts?

Yes. Your admission decision is contingent on successful completion of your high school courses. You should have your final high school transcripts sent to us as soon as they become available. If you attended a college/university during high school, please be sure to also send us those transcripts as well.  

I'm an international student; do I need to submit my final high school transcripts to Josef Silny & Associates, Inc. for evaluation?

No, that is not necessary. Please have your high school guidance counselor submit your final transcripts via mail or email to

When will I receive the first tuition bill for the fall semester?

Your first tuition bill will be posted to your CaneLink account early in July. 

As an international student, when will my I-20 be issued?

Before issuing your I-20, students must submit their enrollment deposit, a bank or government sponsorship letter (sample found here) and a photocopy of the biographical page of their passport. I-20s will begin to be processed in April once all requirements have been fulfilled.

These documents can be submitted via email to Please put "Passport/Bank Letter" in the subject line of your message and be sure to include your full name, date of birth, and Cane ID on all correspondence. 

When will I be able to have access to my University of Miami email address?

At some point in mid-May, UM will send an email to the personal email address we have on file for you giving you information about how to set up your UM student email account. Please claim and monitor your UM email account regularly—starting as soon as it is created, as that is how we will communicate with you throughout the summer. 

Where and when do I take the math placement test?

Incoming first-year students at the University of Miami will be required to complete the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment before enrolling in a mathematics course. For more information, please visit the Department of Mathematics webpage.

Will I have an academic advisor?

Yes. All students are assigned an academic advisor. Your academic advisor can help you pick your courses and navigate academic life at UM. During Orientation, you will have an opportunity to meet with him/her.

When do I select courses?

Each of the University's schools and colleges has a specific program of course registration and academic advising. Your school or college will send information about registration and advising directly to your UM email. 

All students will also receive a guide named The Road to UM to assist you in taking the next steps at the University. You can also get an idea of what classes are offered at UM by exploring CaneLink as well as our UM Academic Programs. For step-by-step videos on how to register for classes in CaneLink, visit the New Student Registration webpage.

I have Florida Prepaid College. What are my next steps?

The Florida Prepaid Program must be notified that the student will be attending UM. Students must also complete the University of Miami's Florida Prepaid College Program Authorization Form. The toll-free number to call the Florida Prepaid Tuition Program is 1-800-552-4723.

For more information about Florida Prepaid College, please visit our Office of Student Account Services website. You can also email them at, but please be sure to put "Florida Prepaid" as the subject line.