Admitted Students
Request Info
Request Info
I have been admitted to UM, what are steps to follow?

Congratulations on your admission to the University of Miami! Your next step is to pay the enrollment deposit. Once you pay your non-refundable enrollment deposit, you will be one step closer to becoming part of the 'Cane family!

There will be many things to do when you come to campus for orientation: settling into housing, getting acquainted with the campus, meeting your classmates and professors, and much more.

To make the transition easier, please visit the New Student Registration page. We have also created an Admitted Student Checklist, which will serve as a roadmap that will help guide you as you plan for your arrival in Miami.

How do I submit my enrollment deposit? 

To secure enrollment, admitted undergraduates must submit a $500 (non-refundable) enrollment deposit. This payment can be made via the student’s CaneLink account (by credit card or electronic check/e-check).

Submit your enrollment deposit by the due date indicated on your admission letter. Once we have received and processed your enrollment deposit, you may continue with enrollment activities such as applying for housing and signing up for a meal plan.

How do I submit my housing pre-payment?

Students who have been admitted who have paid the $500 enrollment deposit can apply for on-campus housing and must submit an additional $500 Housing Pre-Payment via CaneLink.

Please note, CaneLink will process the enrollment deposit first and then the option to apply for housing and submit your housing pre-payment will become visible the next business day.

For more specific questions about applying for housing, new students should contact the Assignments Staff in the Housing and Residential Life Office at 305-284-4505 or through email via

Are new students guaranteed housing?

Housing is guaranteed to incoming first-year students provided they meet all deadlines. New students who have been admitted to the University of Miami are eligible to apply for housing on-line via CaneLink under the "UM Housing" section. To activate access, specifically to the housing application link, admitted students will need to pay the $500 enrollment deposit to verify their admission acceptance.

Students admitted for fall entrance should apply for housing prior to May 1st to receive a priority housing assignment. Housing applications received after that this date are accepted on a space available basis.

Students admitted for spring semester can apply for housing after November 1st and will be accepted on a space available basis.

Applying early will determine in part a student's future priority to access single rooms, be considered for room changes, and having earlier room selection appointment times. For more information, please visit the How to Apply for Housing page.

I am unable to open my admission decision, what should I do?

We apologize that you are experiencing difficulty accessing your decision on the CaneLink student center. The admission decision is posted in your 'Communication Center', not the 'Message Center'. Please clear your cache/cookies and try again. Cookies and Pop-ups must be enabled in order for you to access the system. You may also visit CaneLink FAQ page for instructions on how to manage your settings. If that doesn't work, you can call our help desk at 305-284-6565, option 1, for assistance.  

I am dropping a class after being admitted. What do I do?

It is important to note that academic rigor and performance always comes first. Before dropping a course, please seek advice from your high school or college counselor. We just want to make sure that you fulfill your high school graduation requirements.

When will I be notified if I received a merit scholarship?

Recipients of our merit scholarships are notified at the same time they receive their offer of admission via email and mail to your address.

Does UM match scholarships offered by other colleges/universities?

No, UM does not match offers made by other colleges/universities — but we congratulate you on your academic achievements that have provided so many wonderful opportunities.

When will I be able to have access to my University of Miami email address?

Your University of Miami email address will be generated in May.

As an international student, when will I be issued my I-20?

We will be working on issuing your I-20 in May.  Once your documents are reviewed, the To-Do items in CaneLink will be removed.  Please continue to check CaneLink for additional To Do items in preparation for your arrival at the University.

How do I get a refund on my housing deposit?

Unfortunately, the housing deposit is non-refundable as stated on their housing contract. For additional information, please write to

When will I know my room assignment?

Your room assignment will be posted on your CaneLink when it is ready. The Housing office will typically send these out in late July, early August for fall applicants and late December for spring applicants.

What do I need to know about Orientation?

Congratulations to our new ’Canes, and welcome to the University of Miami!

’Cane Kickoff marks a new beginning and time of celebration for all undergraduate students. This required program provides students with the foundation for your life at UM. Optional programming is also provided for family members. For additional information about Orientation, please visit the following web pages:

Fall Orientation

Spring Orientation

International Student Orientation

What is ’Cane for a Day?

’Cane for a Day is a one-day program for admitted students. The Office of Undergraduate Admission and current students work together to showcase the University of Miami to our admitted students with a unique one-on-one campus visit.

During ’Cane for a Day, you will be matched with a current University of Miami student. You will attend classes with your host and meet professors and other students. Over the course of your day, you will have the opportunity to eat on campus and learn about extracurricular activities available to you as a student at the University of Miami. For more information, please visit the ’Cane for a Day website.

Can I break the Early Decision contract because of my financial aid package?

No, the Early Decision application is a binding contract and financial responsibilities are agreed upon the application via a contract form submitted through the Common Application.

Is it possible to switch majors prior to enrollment?

The Office of Undergraduate Admission will facilitate switching majors up until May 30. If an admitted student wishes to change majors, they must email requesting to have their major switched. After May 30, admitted students need to contact the school or college directly. If you e-mail us, please put "Major Change" in the subject line of your message. Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, and CaneID on all correspondence.

Can I still apply for financial aid if I haven’t already?

Yes. Even if you missed a deadline, you can still apply, however, you must be aware that you will be at an extreme disadvantage. Be sure to complete both the CSS PROFILE at and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at as soon as possible.

Where and when do I take the math placement test?

Incoming freshmen at the University of Miami will be required to complete the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment before enrolling in a mathematics course. For more information, please visit the Department of Mathematics web page.

I am a participant in the Florida Pre-Paid Tuition Program. What do I need to do to get my Florida Pre-Paid funds to credit my student account?

The Florida Pre-Paid Program must be notified that the student will be attending the University of Miami. The Third Party Billing Coordinator in the Office of Student Account Services must be provided with the correct information and amounts to bill the Florida Prepaid Account.

Students must also complete the University of Miami's Florida Prepaid College Program Authorization Form. This form can be accessed on-line by clicking the 'Student Home Page' tab on the student’s CaneLink account.

The toll-free number to call the Florida Prepaid Tuition Program is 1-800-552-4723. For more information about Florida Pre-Paid College, please contact our Office of Student Account Services.

Do I have to submit immunization records?

All new students are required to provide proof of immunization against measles, mumps, and rubella, and tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis.

All international students must also be screened for risk of tuberculosis by completing page two of the immunization form, and all nursing, physical therapy, and medical (M.D) students are required to obtain additional immunizations and tuberculosis screening as described on the nursing and physical therapy immunization form and medical student immunization form.

For more information, please visit the Immunization Information page.