2018 Spring Admission

Request Info
Request Info

Congratulations on your admission to the University of Miami! Each year, a strong cohort of students joins us in the spring after using the fall to take courses at a local college, volunteer, or take part in other enriching activities.

This year the Admission Committee saw a particularly competitive applicant pool and, while we were unable to offer you admission for the Fall 2017 semester, we believe in your potential to impact the University of Miami and are pleased to offer you admission for the Spring 2018 semester. 

Next Steps

I've been admitted for the spring semester. Can I be placed on the waitlist for fall?

We understand that you expected to begin your studies in the fall semester; however, students admitted for the spring will no longer be considered for the fall semester.

What is CaneLink and how do I access it?

CaneLink is UM’s student information system. Through CaneLink, you can enroll, review financial aid, browse available courses, view grades, order transcripts, search for jobs, reserve tickets to Hurricane athletic events, and more. canelink.miami.edu

How do I accept my admission offer and submit my enrollment deposit?

For step-by-step instructions, visit miami.edu/canelinkguide.

Will there be many others starting in the spring?

Yes, we expect to enroll 300 to 350 students in the spring. 

My Spring 2018 application says 'Incomplete' even though I have already paid the deposit. Why?

Your application is labeled as "Incomplete" because you need to send us your final high school transcripts as soon after you graduate.

Can I defer my admission?

Students admitted in the spring are not permitted to defer their admission.

Can I be considered for scholarships?

Students starting in the spring are not considered for merit-based scholarships.

When will I receive my admission packet?

Students will receive their admission packet no later than June 1.

When will I receive my financial aid award?

Students will receive their financial aid award no later than June 1.

What can I do during the fall semester?

Students can take courses at a local college or university, volunteer, study abroad, or participate in other enriching activities during the fall semester.

Can I take college courses in the fall?

While students cannot take classes at UM in the fall, students may register for courses at a regionally accredited institution. Students should make progress toward UM's general education requirements. We recommend students familiarize themselves with the Academic Bulletin and the Suggested Coursework to Prepare for Transfer.

How do I know if my credits will transfer?

Students should compare the course descriptions of the courses they register for with the course descriptions in the Academic Bulletin. If the descriptions are similar, those courses will likely transfer. A transfer credit evaluation will be conducted after your official transcripts have been submitted.

Are there any specific courses I need to take?

Students should refer to the Academic Bulletin for information on courses they can take in the fall semester that may help them make progress toward UM’s general education requirements.

How can I receive credit for AP, IB, Cambridge, CAPE, and/or CLEP exams?

For a listing of credit equivalencies, visit miami.edu/creditequivTo have AP, IB, Cambridge, CAPE, and/or CLEP scores evaluated for University credit, submit an official test result report to:

University of Miami
Office of Undergraduate Admission
P.O. Box 249117, Coral Gables, FL 33124-4616

What can I expect from UM during my time away from the university?

We will email you important information and reminders throughout the summer and fall. It is important that you monitor your e-mail account as well as you CaneLink for this information.

When is Orientation?

Spring 2018 Orientation will take place on January 11-13 for incoming first-year and transfer undergraduate students and January 11-12 for new first-year and transfer students. Visit the Orientation page for more information about our Spring 'Cane Kickoff.

How will the I-20 process work for international students admitted in the spring?

For international students admitted in the spring who decide to attend another university in the U.S. in the fall, we will issue you an I-20 in October and do a SEVIS transfer as soon as your semester finishes.

Will freshman housing be available and when do I apply?

Housing is guaranteed for spring admits; no exceptions. Students can complete their housing assignments prior to their arrival in late December or early January.

While we are unable to guarantee that students will live in freshman housing, we aim to accommodate students in our freshman residential areas based on availability.

When will I be able to register for courses?

Students will be able to register for courses and speak with their academic advisor beginning in late-November.

Can I still be reconsidered for admission for the fall semester?

Your offer of admission is only applicable to Spring 2018 and cannot be reevaluated for another term. Please note that you are also unable to defer your offer of admission to a later semester.

Am I required to participate in the University’s health insurance?

All full-time students are required to obtain adequate health insurance. The annual premium for the health insurance plan offered through the Student Health Service is added to each student’s fees. Domestic students with adequate alternative coverage may opt out of the University’s health insurance and request cancellation via CaneLink. International students are required to enroll in the University-sponsored health insurance program. miami.edu/newstudenthealth

On CaneLink, what is a proxy?

A proxy user is a person who has been given access to a student’s record in CaneLink. This is a popular option for students who wish to grant access to their parent(s) or guardian(s).

What is a Cane Card?

Your Cane Card is your official on-campus identification card at the University of Miami. All University students are required to carry their Cane Card for identification purposes while on campus. With it, you can gain access to buildings (including residence halls, the library, computer labs, and the Wellness Center) and athletic events, check out books from the library, purchase discounted Metrorail tickets, and pay for meals.