Admission Process

Request Info
Request Info
Am I a freshman or transfer applicant?

Freshman Applicant

You are considered a freshman applicant if any of the following apply:

  • You are still in high school/home school and have not yet received your high school diploma or the equivalent.
  • You have received a high school diploma or the equivalent but have not enrolled full-time at a post-secondary institution nor entered a college or university as a degree-seeking student.
  • You have not yet received your high school diploma or the equivalent and are enrolled in an early college program or dual enrollment program.

Transfer Applicant

You are considered a transfer applicant if any of the following apply:

  • You have enrolled as a degree-seeking student at a college or university at any point after you received your high school diploma or the equivalent.
  • You graduated from high school or received a high school diploma equivalent and subsequently enrolled in a college or university for more than half time.

If either of these conditions applies to you, you may not disregard your college record and apply as a freshman. You must apply as a transfer.

Does UM accept the Coalition Application?

No, we require all applicants to submit the Common Application

What is needed to complete the freshman application? 

The following is needed to complete the freshman application:

  • Non-refundable application fee
  • High school transcript (must come directly from the school(s) attended)
  • School report from a high school counselor
  • SAT or ACT scores reported to us by the testing institution if studying in the U.S.
  • One counselor recommendation
  • One teacher evaluation  
What are my chances of being admitted?

It is important to note the evaluation of applications by the admission committee is comprehensive and holistic, which means that we select students on the basis of many attributes. These attributes include the academic record, extracurricular achievements, demonstrated leadership and community contribution, a personal essay, and letters of recommendation.

We are especially interested in those students we believe will contribute to, as well as benefit from, our community. There is no minimum standardized test score or grade point average to be considered for admission. See the freshmen class profile for an overview of the typical academic achievement and test scores of recently admitted students for a sense of our competitiveness.

What is the mailing address for application materials?

UM encourages students to submit all application materials online through the Common Application, including required school documents. However, if application materials need to be mailed, they must be sent to:
University of Miami
Office of Undergraduate Admission
PO Box 249117
Coral Gables, FL 33124-9117

If sending via FedEx, DHL, UPS, or courier:

University of Miami
Office of Undergraduate Admission
1320 S. Dixie Highway
Gables One Tower, Suite 945
Coral Gables, FL 33146

Please make sure that all mailed application materials include the applicant's full name exactly as it appears on their application, date of birth, and application ID number.

What courses are needed in order to be admitted? 

UM does not prescribe a specific distribution of high school coursework requirements, only that students complete the requirements of their high school. That being said, most competitive applicants will have completed four full years of coursework in the five core academic areas of English, math, social studies, science, and foreign language.

Does UM accept applications from home-schooled students?

The admission committee is happy to receive applications from home-schooled students. In addition to meeting all admission requirements, we also encourage home-schooled students to submit a comprehensive explanation of their curriculum.

Does UM allow students to apply who have a GED?

An applicant may apply to the University upon completion of the GED in lieu of completing high school. When applying with the GED, the applicant must submit official high school transcripts up to the time of withdrawal, as well as the official GED score report and diploma.

Applicants submitting the GED must achieve the following scores to be considered for admission. These scores should be considered a guideline and do not guarantee admission to the applicant.

For exams taken in English:

Overall score of 2800
No subscore below 500

For exams taken in any language other than English:

Overall score of 3000
No subscore below 600

Which standardized test does the University of Miami prefer, ACT or SAT?

There is no preference between the two exams. All students are required to submit an official score report from either the SAT and/or ACT directly from the testing agency.

Do you superscore

Yes, we superscore both the SAT and the ACT.

Does the University of Miami require SAT Subject Test scores?

SAT Subject Tests are not required for admission, however some Dual Degree Programs may require SAT Subject Tests. Please note that test scores will only be accepted if they are submitted directly from the testing agency.

Does UM require a mid-year report from freshman applicants?

Yes, all applicants are required to have their high school guidance counselor submit the mid-year report and updated senior year transcript as soon as it is available. Early Decision students should submit first-quarter grades. The Office of Undergraduate Admission does not process mid-year reports or transcripts submitted by the applicant directly.

Do you look at rank? What if my high school does not rank students?

Class rank can be an instructive measure of an applicant‘s academic performance relative to his/her peers and is considered thoughtfully in conjunction with other data the admission office gathers about any given high school.

When evaluating a student attending a school that does not rank its students, the admission office relies on data provided by the school to gain some sense of the student’s performance relative to his or her peers. Such information is always used responsibly. GPA and range distributions provide contextual information when the school does not release exact rank.

Do you recalculate GPAs? If so how? 

Each applicant is evaluated within the context of the high school(s) attended. We recognize that GPAs are calculated in many different ways. We will recalculate your GPA and use that value during our review of your application. We will convert all students' GPA to an unweighted scale and review the rigor of the curriculum separately.

What if I did not take any AP/Honor courses? How will it affect me?

A student's curriculum plays a large role in the application review process. We like to see students challenging themselves and we encourage them to take demanding courses (such as AP, IB, honors, advanced or accelerated courses, if offered) in subjects in which they feel they can excel.

How do the grades I earn during my senior year of high school factor in my admission decision?

Generally, for the purposes of admission into UM, we review an applicant’s coursework from grade 9 through the first term of his or her senior year. Students’ transcripts are reviewed to ensure that they continue to maintain a level of academic achievement throughout their senior year.

What are UM’s admission deadlines?

Current application deadlines are listed on our Options and Deadlines page. All materials must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. (in your current time zone) on the appropriate date.

I submitted my application, how can I check if it was received?

Once a student's application is downloaded and processed by the Office of Undergraduate Admission, we will send you an acknowledgement email within 3-4 business days containing your Cane ID and instructions about how to log into CaneLink. Please remember to check your spam, junk, and clutter folders for this email.

CaneLink is your UM portal for tracking application materials and viewing your admission decision. To check your application status and the receipt of application materials, log onto CaneLink and click on the "To Do List” in the Student Center. When your application is complete, there will be no items in your "To Do List.”

If you are unable to log into your CaneLink account, you can contact our IT Support Center at or 305-284-6565, option 1. You can also visit our CaneLink FAQ page. You can also visit: CaneID Self-Service.

How do I know what I am missing from my application?

When checking your To-Do List items on your CaneLink account, you can click on each item and see an explanation and instruction(s) on how to submit the missing material(s). 

Does UM accept late applications?

Applications submitted after UM’s deadlines will be considered late and may not be considered for admission.

How much is UM’s application fee?

The non-refundable application fee is $70, payable online via the Common Application when you submit your application for admission. The fee applies to all applicants, regardless of state of residency or citizenship status.

How do I get an application fee waiver? How do I submit it?

We do not provide an institutional waiver. For students for whom the nonrefundable application fee presents a financial hardship, we accept application fee waivers from the student’s high school, College Board, NACAC, or ACT. You can consult with your high school counselor for more information. Once you obtain your waiver, you can fax a copy of your waiver to 305-284-2507 or email to If you e-mail us your fee waiver, please put "Application Fee Waiver" in the subject line of your message.

How do I submit an update (or error correction) to an already submitted application?

If you need to update your contact information including email address, current address, or permanent address, you may log into your CaneLink account and update your contact information yourself. You can visit the Student FAQs page for instructions on how to update your account.

If you submitted an application with an incorrect social security number listed, please fax a clear copy of your social security card to 305-284-2507 or email to along with a brief explanation requesting to have your application information updated. Upon receipt of the proper documentation, we will correct the number in our system.

Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to accept any additions or revisions to your current application (extracurricular activities, resume, awards, essay, etc.). We are confident that your application will be a great representation of you as a student and we look forward to reviewing it in the near future.

Will UM consider supplemental information that I submit with my application?

We do not encourage the submission of supplemental materials outside of those required by any of the programs below:

Bachelor of Architecture 

Theatre Arts B.F.A. 
Supplemental Application 

Dual-Degree Programs
Supplemental Application (for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Exercise Physiology, Latin American Studies, and Health Professions Mentoring Program)

Frost School of Music: 
Requires the Arts Supplement available through the Common Application.
Portfolio (for Music Composition and Commercial Music)
Portfolio (for Music Engineering)

I want to be considered for Early Decision, not Early Action as I stated on my application. How can I switch my application option?

Please send an email to stating your request to convert your application to Early Decision along with your Early Decision Agreement form with the required signatures. If you e-mail us your agreement, please put "Early Decision Agreement" in the subject line of your message.

I have more than two recommenders. Will they be accepted?

The Office of Undergraduate Admission only requires two letters of recommendation, one from a high school counselor and one from a teacher. Most applicants find this number is sufficient and we want to ensure all applicants have the same opportunity for review.

What if I submit my application on time but my letters of recommendation are not in by the deadline?

While we understand that some documents will not arrive by the deadline, we ask that they arrive as close to the deadline as possible.

What if I had to switch/change a course my senior year? 

Please notify us of this change at and request for new transcripts to be sent directly from your high school. If you e-mail us, please put "Schedule Change" in the subject line of your message. Be sure to include your full name and date of birth on all correspondence.

Can I switch my major on the common application?

If you would like to change your intended major on the Common Application, please notify us of this change at If you e-mail us, please put "Major Change" in the subject line of your message. Be sure to include your full name and date of birth on all correspondence.

What are the advantages of applying Early Action?

The chief advantage of Early Action (EA) is that it provides students with advanced notice of an admission decision (typically late January) and automatic consideration for our Premier Academic Scholarships. For many students, this enables better planning. It's a great option if the University of Miami is one of your top choices. There are, however, a few aspects of the Early Action process to be aware of before you apply.

  • Early Action is for freshman applicants applying for the fall term.
  • The Frost School of Music and students interested in the Theatre BFA program are ineligible to apply for Early Action because of the audition processes.
  • The Office of Undergraduate Admission promises no special privileges to Early Action candidates, such as giving your application materials a higher priority or a more lenient review.
  • You must be able to meet the November 1 deadline. This means having all application materials submitted electronically or postmarked by this date. You will need to order your ACT or SAT scores well in advance, and ensure that we receive the Secondary School Report and the teacher recommendation letter by the deadline.
  • Because Early Action decision is non-binding, you are still permitted to apply to and enroll at another other school that has an early admission program such as Early Action or Early Decision. Depending on the other school's requirements, you may be required to attend their school if admitted and withdraw your application to the University of Miami.                                  
What are the advantages of applying Early Decision?

Early Decision (ED) is a binding agreement between a student and an institution. A student may only apply ED to one institution. Because of the commitment required and displayed by a student when applying ED to UM, we do look favorably upon this specific population. This is not to say that an inadmissible student will then become admissible, but rather it is another component to this individual’s application that we will consider during our holistic review process. This pool of students, along with Early Action applicants, are considered for our Premier Academic Scholarships.

Early Decision II (ED II) is an option for students who would like to apply Early Decision to the University of Miami, but have come to this conclusion after the November 1 deadline. This option gives students two additional months to decide if they would like to apply with a binding agreement to UM, and is another great opportunity for students to show their commitment to UM. Early Decision II students are not considered for our Premier Academic Scholarships.

Can I apply Early Action or Early Decision I and still submit October scores?

The University of Miami will honor any SAT and/or ACT exams if they are taken before your chosen deadline. If you have previously taken the SAT and/or ACT exams, you can send these scores in to complete your application. Once your October scores are received, we will add the new test information to your application and consider these in the review process.

What is the last SAT or ACT sitting that UM will accept for fall applicants?
The University of Miami will consider standardized tests that have been taken prior to the application deadline chosen, even if the scores come after. Although we will accept scores from later sittings, we cannot guarantee that your results will reach us in time to be considered by our admission committee.
 When will I hear if I have been admitted? 

Early Decision I applicants will be notified in late December.
Early Action applicants will be notified in late January.
Early Decision II applicants will be notified in late February.
Regular Decision applicants will be notified in late March.

How does UM notify applicants when a decision has been reached?

Admissions decisions are available via CaneLink, UM’s online application management portal. Students should monitor their email closely.

Can you email me my admission decision?

Our policy dictates that we cannot reveal to applicants their admission decision via email or telephone.

Is demonstrated interest a factor in the admission selection process? Is one's chances for admission increased by visiting campus?

Demonstrated interest is not a factor in the application review process. Though we encourage students to visit campus to experience life at UM, it is not a factor in our decision making process. The evaluation of one's admissibility is based on the various components of a student's application for admission. Helping prospective students assess their “fit” with Miami is important to us. Let us know how we can help you learn more about UM. If you are unable to visit our campus, we encourage you to take our virtual campus tour anytime, anywhere!

Are interviews required for prospective students?

With over 32,000 applicants, UM neither requires nor grants interviews.

Does UM accept first-year and transfer applications for the spring semester?

Yes, UM does accept first-year or transfer applications for spring admission.

How does legacy admission work?

We value the tradition of legacy applicants – perhaps the most meaningful indication of a graduate’s own experience in college is to recommend one’s alma mater to one’s children. In the admission review process, legacy status is for applicants whose grandparents and parents have graduated from UM. Additional family connections (such as siblings, uncles, aunts, or cousins) will be considered but do not constitute legacy status. The admission staff works closely with the Alumni Association to document legacy applicants through the admission review process. Please visit the Legacy Admission Program page to learn more information.

Members of both the admission and alumni offices celebrate your family’s interest of continuing the ’Cane tradition—thank you for considering UM!

Does UM accept sign language as a language requirement?

No, sign language does not fulfill the foreign language requirement.

I am not sure about what to declare as a major. 

If you are unsure or have not yet decided what you would like to study, you can choose ‘undeclared’ in the Common Application. The undeclared freshman will have the opportunity to meet with their advisor to discuss interests and explore options during the semester. Also, the Toppel Career Center offers career development resources and seminars to assist undecided students in determining career choices. With the help of a college advisor, students are able to determine the best major(s) to study to support their career goals.

Are a certain number of students accepted into each major?

For most majors, there is no set limit for the number of students who can be admitted.

Is there a deadline to declare a major?

Students must declare a major by the end of their sophomore year. By that time, they should have taken a few preliminary courses in a field that interests them. Students are advised to choose a major during their sophomore year and begin the requirements so that they have time to decide whether to continue with the same major. The UM Bulletin provides all essential information about course descriptions and requirements.

How do I get credit for AP and college courses? 

The University allows students to receive college credit toward graduation from the following programs:

  • Advanced Placement
  • International Baccalaureate
  • College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

To have Advanced Placement, College-Level Examination Program, and International Baccalaureate (Level H) examinations scores evaluated for university credit, request that your scores be sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admission from the College Board or your regional IB office prior to enrollment for consideration. A minimum grade of “C” is required for consideration of all dual enrollment courses, and no more than 60 credits may be accepted from these programs. For more information on the courses visit:

When do I submit my AP, IB scores?

A student must submit official AP, IB, Dual Enrollment transcripts or CLEP results no later than the end of the first semester of enrollment for review. You may submit scores as soon as you enroll at the University. Documents submitted after this time period will not be reviewed and credit hour will not be awarded.

The University will accept no more than 60 credits hours from these programs to count toward the 120 credit hours required for graduation.

Can I defer my enrollment and take a gap year?

High school seniors who have been admitted to UM and who are interested in deferring enrollment to take a gap year must submit a short explanation detailing proposed plans for the gap year. If college courses are taken during the gap year, the student will have to reapply as a transfer student and receive a new admission decision which will include consideration of the new academic information.

Deferments are typically granted for one semester or one year. The application will be reviewed on a rolling basis by a university committee and students will be notified of their deferment status as soon as possible. Those interested in deferment should email the Office of Undergraduate Admission at by June 1. If you e-mail us, please put "Deferral/Gap Year" in the subject line of your message.

What is the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition? 

Since the University of Miami is a private institution, tuition rates are the same for in-state and out-of-state students. The Office of Student Account Services website lists Tuition and Fees rates for the current/upcoming school year. 

Do you accept the Florida Pre-Paid Plan?

Yes. The Office of Student Account Services at the University of Miami is pleased to provide you with information relating to the Florida Prepaid College Program. Staff members are available to assist and answer inquiries by phone (305) 284-6430 Option 5, email (, or in person.

How do I cancel or withdraw my application for admission if I have decided to not enroll at UM?

In order for your application to be withdrawn, please complete the withdrawal form.

How do I reapply?

Please visit the Undergraduate Readmission Information page for more information.

If I attended the Summer Scholars Program at UM, do I have to send in my transcripts?

Yes, you have to contact the Summer Scholars Program and have them forward your transcripts to our office. You can contact them via e-mail at Be sure to include your full name and date of birth on all correspondence.